The Television & Movie Wiki: for TV, celebrities, and movies.
|IMDB Page (external link)|
|Writer:|| Robert Roy Pool|
|Starring:|| Bruce Willis|
Billy Bob Thornton
|Distributor:||Touchstone Pictures, Jerry Bruckheimer Films|
|Release Date:||July 1, 1998 (USA)|
Image:Armageddon - The Album (CD Cover).jpg Armageddon is a 1998 disaster film/science fiction film about a group of blue-collar deep-core drillers who are sent by NASA to deflect an asteroid on a collision course with Earth. It was directed by Michael Bay and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, and featured Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler. The film's tagline is For Love. For Honor. For Mankind.
Armageddon was released during a period when disaster movies were seeing a comeback. Another asteroid impact movie, Deep Impact, was made the same year, along with a reprise of Godzilla. The previous year saw a few volcano-based disaster movies.
While Hollywood science fiction films often bend the rules of science in order to create a more compelling plot, science critics blasted Armageddon more than most for its poor adherence to the laws of physics. Some even felt that the asteroid, an inanimate object, was portrayed as actively trying to kill the astronauts.
The movie was nominated in seven categories for the 1998 Golden Raspberry Awards, but only one was awarded: the Worst Actor award was given to Bruce Willis for his Armageddon performance, along with appearances in Mercury Rising and The Siege. It was also on the list of Roger Ebert's most hated films.
A DVD of Armageddon was re-issued by The Criterion Collection, which releases what it considers to be "important classic and contemporary films"; the film also received the Saturn Awards for Best Direction and Best Science Fiction Film (where it tied with Dark City).
- Budget - $140,000,000
- Marketing cost - $100,000,000
- Opening Weekend Gross (Domestic) - $36,089,972
- Total Domestic Grosses - $201,578,182
- Total Overseas Grosses - $352,131,606
- Total Worldwide Grosses - $553,709,788
Armageddon: The Album (Sony, June 23, 1998):
- I Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Aerosmith
- Remember Me - Journey
- What Kind of Love Are You On - Aerosmith
- La Grange - ZZ Top
- Roll Me Away - Bob Seger
- When the Rainbow Comes - Shawn Colvin
- Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
- Mister Big Time - Jon Bon Jovi
- Come Together - Aerosmith
- Wish I Were You - Patty Smyth
- Starseed - Our Lady Peace
- Leaving on a Jet Plane - Chantal Kreviazuk
- Theme from Armageddon - Trevor Rabin
- Animal Crackers - Ben Affleck
- The film was released on Liv Tyler's 21st birthday.
- Liv Tyler turned down the role of Grace Stamper twice before she finally accepted.
- This is the second film that depicted a fictional shuttle launch using actual launch footage. The first was SpaceCamp (1986).
- Armageddon at the Internet Movie Database
- Criterion Collection essay on Armageddon, from a Wesleyan University professor under whom the film's director studied
- Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics review of Armageddon
- Bad Astronomy - The Astronomy of Armageddon
- Movie Tour Guide.com - Maps and directions to Armageddon Filming Locationshe:ארמגדון