The Television & Movie Wiki: for TV, celebrities, and movies.
June 27 is the 178th day of the year (179th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar, with 187 days remaining.
- 678 - Saint Agatho begins his reign as a Catholic Pope.
- 1542 - Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo claims California for Spain.
- 1709 - Peter the Great defeats Charles XII of Sweden at the Battle of Poltava.
- 1759 - General James Wolfe starts siege of Quebec.
- 1806 - The British capture Buenos Aires.
- 1844 - Joseph Smith, Jr. is murdered along with his brother Hyrum in the jail in Carthage, Illinois.
- 1864 - Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in the American Civil War.
- 1867 - The Bank of California opens its doors
- 1893 - Crash of the New York Stock Exchange.
- 1898 - First solo circumnavigation of the globe completed by Joshua Slocum from Briar Island Nova Scotia.
- 1905 - Mutiny on the battleship Potemkin.
- 1950 - The United States decides to send troops to fight in the Korean War.
- 1953 - Joseph Laniel becomes Prime Minister of France.
- 1954 - World's first nuclear power station opens in Obninsk, near Moscow.
- 1957 - Hurricane Audrey kills 500 people in Louisiana and Texas.
- 1966 - The first broadcast of Dark Shadows aired on ABC-TV.
- 1967 - World's first ATM installed in Enfield, London.
- 1972 - ATARI is established by Nolan Bushnell.
- 1974 - U.S president Richard Nixon visits the U.S.S.R.
- 1977 - France grants independence to Djibouti.
- 1979 - Muhammad Ali announces his retirement from boxing.
- 1980 - A commercial DC-9 (Itavia Flight 870) was apparently shot down.
- 1984 - Pierre Elliott Trudeau wins Albert Einstein Peace Prize.
- 1985 - Route 66 ceases to be an official highway.
- 1986 - International Court of Justice finds against the United States in its judgement in the Nicaragua v. United States.
- 1991 - Slovenia, after declaring independence two days previous, is invaded by Yugoslavia troops, tanks, and aircraft.
- 1995 - Jodi Huisentruit, an anchorwoman in Mason City, Iowa disappears, presumably abducted.
- 2001 - International Court of Justice finds against the United States in its judgement in the LaGrand Case.
- 2005 - AMD files broad antitrust complaint against Intel Corporation in US Federal District Court, alleging abuse of monopoly powers and antitrust violations.
1040 to 1899
- 1040 - King Ladislaus I of Hungary (d. 1095)
- 1462 - King Louis XII of France (d. 1515)
- 1550 - King Charles IX of France (d. 1574)
- 1696 - William Pepperrell, British colonial soldier (d. 1759)
- 1717 - Louis Guillaume Lemonnier, French botanist (d. 1799)
- 1838 - Paul von Mauser, German weapon designer (d. 1914)
- 1846 - Charles Stewart Parnell, Irish independence fighter (d. 1891)
- 1850 - Lafcadio Hearn, Greek-born author (d. 1904)
- 1869 - Emma Goldman, Lithuanian-born anarchist and feminist (d. 1940)
- 1869 - Hans Spemann, German embryologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1941)
- 1870 - Frank Rattray Lillie, American zoologist and embryologist (d. 1947)
- 1880 - Helen Keller, American spokeswoman for the deaf and blind (d. 1968)
- 1882 - Eduard Spranger, German philosopher, psychologist, and educator (d. 1963)
- 1884 - Gaston Bachelard, French philosopher and poet (d. 1962)
1900 to 1999
- 1913 - Willie Mosconi, American billiards player (d. 1993)
- 1924 - Rosalie Allen, American singer and disc jockey (d. 2003)
- 1924 - Bob Appleyard, English cricketer
- 1925 - Doc Pomus, American musician and composer (d. 1991)
- 1928 - Rudy Perpich, American politician (d. 1995)
- 1930 - Ross Perot, American billionaire and politician
- 1931 - Charles Bronfman, Canadian industrialist
- 1931 - Martinus J. G. Veltman, Dutch physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1932 - Anna Moffo, American soprano
- 1941 - Krzysztof Kieślowski, Polish film director (d. 1996)
- 1949 - Vera Wang, American fashion designer
- 1951 - Mary McAleese, President of Ireland
- 1955 - Isabelle Adjani, French actress
- 1956 - Heiner Dopp, German field hockey player
- 1958 - Magnus Lindberg, Finnish composer
- 1959 - Clint Boon, English musician (Inspiral Carpets)
- 1962 - Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Hong Kong actor
- 1963 - Meera Syal, English comedian, writer, singer, journalist, and actress
- 1964 - Chuck Person, basketball player
- 1966 - J.J. Abrams, American television writer and producer
- 1970 - Jim Edmonds, baseball player
- 1970 - Vitamin C, American singer
- 1975 - Tobey Maguire, American actor
- 1975 - Daryle Ward, baseball player
- 1977 - Raúl, Spanish footballer
- 1978 - Stefan Arason, Icelandic composer
- 1980 - Kevin Pietersen, English cricketer
- 1983 - Alsou, Russian singer
- 1985 - Svetlana Kuznetsova, Russian tennis player
- 1986 - Drake Bell, American actor and musician
- 1988 - Kate Ziegler, American swimmer
- 1991 - Madylin Sweeten, American actress
1149 to 1899
- 1149 - Raymond of Antioch
- 1162 - Eudes II, Duke of Burgundy (b. 1118)
- 1458 - King Alfonso V of Aragon (b. 1396)
- 1574 - Giorgio Vasari, Italian painter and architect (b. 1511)
- 1603 - Jan Dymitr Solikowski, Polish archbishop, writer, and diplomat (b. 1539)
- 1627 - John Hayward, English historian
- 1655 - Eleonore Gonzaga, wife of Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1598)
- 1672 - Roger Twysden, English antiquarian and royalist (b. 1597)
- 1720 - Guillaume Amfrye de Chaulieu, French poet (b. 1639)
- 1794 - Wenzel Anton Graf Kaunitz, Austrian statesman (b. 1711)
- 1794 - Philippe de Noailles, duc de Mouchy, French soldier (b. 1715)
- 1829 - James Smithson, English founder of the Smithsonian Institute (b. 1765)
- 1831 - Sophie Germain, French mathematician (b. 1776)
- 1844 - Hyrum Smith, American religious leader (murdered) (b. 1800)
- 1844 - Joseph Smith, Jr. American founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (murdered) (b. 1805)
1900 to 1999
Holidays and observances
June 26 - June 28 - May 27 - July 27 -- listing of all days
nap:27 'e giùgno
an:27 de chunio
ast:27 de xunu
ca:27 de juny
co:27 di ghjugnu
es:27 de junio
eo:27-a de junio
gl:27 de xuño
io:27 di junio
ia:27 de junio
oc:27 de junh
pt:27 de Junho
scn:27 di giugnu
vi:27 tháng 6
wa:27 di djun